CE Points :
AGD Subject Code :
Shaw Lab (105 Bentworth Ave Unit 1, North York, ON M6A 1P6)
8.30am - 4.30pm
May 10, 2024
About the Course
This course will review various topics related to oral moderate sedation in dentistry. We will review the new sedation standards of the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario (RCDSO), as well as patient assessment, patient monitoring, as well as the pharmacology of relevant medications used in sedation and dentistry. We will also outline the indications of sedation and anaesthesia in dentistry, cardiovascular and respiratory physiology, as well as medical emergency management in the dental office.
After attending this seminar, participants will have the knowledge to
• Appreciate that sedation and anaesthesia is a continuum
• Appreciate the new changes to the RCDSO Standard of Practice in the “Use of Sedation and General Anaesthesia in the Dental Office.”
• Be familiar with patient monitoring and patient assessment for oral moderate sedation
• Appreciate basic cardiovascular and respiratory physiology
• Be familiar with sedative medications used in dentistry, in particular nitrous oxide and benzodiazepines
• Be familiar with local anaesthetic pharmacology and safety
• Manage medical emergencies in the dental office
About the Instructor
Dr. Soheil Khojasteh
Dr. Soheil Khojasteh obtained his Bachelor of Health Sciences at McMaster University in 2010, and then he went on to complete his Doctor of Dental Surgery degree at the University of Toronto in 2014. After dental school, Soheil enrolled in the dental anaesthesiology specialty program at the University of Toronto, Faculty of Dentistry. Soheil is a specialist in dental anaesthesia and a Diplomate of the American Dental Board of Anaesthesia. He is the immediate past President of the Ontario Dental Society of Anaesthesiology, and the current Vice President of the Canadian Academy of Dental Anaesthesiologists. He is a clinical instructor at the University of Toronto, Faculty of Dentistry, in the Department of Anaesthesia, and he has presented to his colleagues in anaesthesia and dentistry at numerous conferences. Soheil currently practices the Procedural Team Anaesthesia model, in which he provides comprehensive dental treatment to his patients under general anesthesia and deep sedation.
Toronto Implant Academy (TIA)
Nationally Approved PACE Program Provider for FAGD/MAGD credit. Approval does not imply acceptance by any regulatory authority or AGD endorsement. 9-1-2022 to 8-31-2025.
Provider ID# 355116